23rd September 2020
Thank you to all members attending, any of you who are watching online, friends of the association, committee members, life members and our patron, Bill Holland.
Firstly, I need to provide my apologies for not being able to make the AGM.
To say the last year has been like no other even feels like an understatement. Coronavirus is something not many of us were aware of toward the end of last year, but now there wouldn't be anyone who isn't aware of it or knows of someone affected either from a health or economic perspective.
After spending more than 6-months in differing alert levels, having the ability to visit family or friends in other countries all but taken away from us we are looking at this being the "new-normal" for longer still.
Closer to home and from the association's perspective we have a number of highlights from the last 12-months. These include:
- Old Boy Sam Cane being named captain of the All Blacks (in May) - then he was injured playing for the Chiefs against the Hurricanes in August so we wish him a rapid recovery and hope he will be on the field for the upcoming Bledisloe Cup series
- OBA was privileged to be able to provide almost $40,000 of assistance in the following areas
- Technology for students of ~ $10,000
- Student support of ~ $9,000
- Hardship $3,500
- COVID support for remote learning during Level 4 Lockdown $5,000
- Scholarships (Garth Sim Centurion and Minola Grant) - almost $15k
- Gemming turf - $1k
- School leaver function - $4.5k
- This shows the association vision and mission defined last year works well for guiding decisions at a committee level
Looking ahead we are reliant on the COVID levels staying at level 1 and provided they do we are proceeding with the Old Boys' Dinner this year which has been moved to November 20 - please register on the website if you haven't already.
By attending this event you have an opportunity to connect and reminisce with ex-students and teachers, celebrate the achievements of Old Boys' and engage in the evenings entertainment and auction. All proceeds from the evening go to supporting the TBC Old Boys' Association and ultimately TBC's students.
Lastly, I will be standing down from the position of President of the Association as of the AGM due to family commitments. I wish the association and my successor all the best for the future and will continue to stay involved where possible.